Wow! it's been just over a year since my last update and to be completely honest, I was lazy over the last year! I gained what few pounds I lost and My weight remained around 208-210. I didn't do well on dieting at all. I ate out/fast food way too often and always felt disgusted with myself afterwards. however I will say I did eat a decent amount of fruits and veggies and I didn't drink too much soda. Haven't been a huge soda drinker since I was a jogger at the age of 18 though. I was walking a lot at the beginning of this year until my rain cover for the jogging stroller broke. I bought materials to make a new one and have it all cut out I just haven't sewn it together. Lazy? too much other crap to do? I dunno! last thing I want to do when I get a moment to myself is pull out the sewing machine!
Fast forward to Saturday, March 23rd 2013, my oldest daughter's 4th birthday and party. After the attendees had left and the house mostly clean and my girls and husband off to bed I tuned into Netflix. I watched 2 documentaries, "Hungry for change" and "Food matters". "Hungry for change" is about all the crap the food companies put in our food to keep us coming back for more and it's making a good portion of us fat! (a lot of stuff we already know but still informative) "Food matters" is about how the food we eat can help or hurt us. They both really made me start to think! Then the next night I watched "Forks over Knives"! ....Wow! I'm not sure where to begin to describe this documentary but it is life changing! In a nut shell. Eating meat and animal products (dairy), sugars, white flours, oils, heavily processed foods with crap ingredients are actually damaging our bodies! (think clogged arteries, type two diabetes, high cholesterol, the list goes on!) AND! Can FEED cancer cells! Holy cow! a bit scary to say the least!
BUT! by eating the right foods, plant based and whole foods can actually help your body to heal itself! (Incredible!) and decreases your chance of getting cancer tremendously! As plant based and whole foods DO NOT feed cancer cells. I decided that night, I would be eating a plant based, whole foods diet. And if you're wondering, I'm the only one in my house eating this way. I've done really well on it. It's been challenging and fun to make plant based foods and most of the stuff is quite tasty and I haven't missed the other foods too much. I'm excited for my "Forks over Knives" cookbook to get here to help me be more creative with my food. My Husband said He'd even eat meatless every now and then but still wants meat on most nights of the week and he won't give up dairy. which is fine. (If you're curious, he has not watched any of the documentaries I have). And if the kids decide when they're older they want to switch to eating plant based I will be ecstatic!
We switched to whole grains a while ago, so that made part of this transition to plant based a little easier. I learned a mantra from one of the documentaries to help myself say no to eating foods not on the plant based lifestyle and that is "I can have it but I don't want it". That saying has been repeated over and over in my head and has served me well in making the right choices. If you just tell yourself I can't have it, you feel like you're not in control and you're more likely to splurge on it later but if you tell yourself you can have it but you choose not to, you are in control and less likely to eat it! works like a charm for me. My S-I-L told me one her trainer taught her (she does body sculpting competitions and is in great shape, eats healthy but not plant based) "once on your lips, forever on your hips" ha ha! too funny and all too true!
Sorry this is long but onto the info some of you are probably wondering!? Have you lost weight? Yes! in a matter of 8 days (currently typing this at the start of day 8) I have lost 7 pounds! without doing any exercising! I was at 208 I am currently 201 and watching the scale drop so quickly is great motivation to stick with this diet. Of course knowing what I know now, I don't ever see myself switching back to an omnivore diet. Now to throw some exercise in there!
I'm hoping to get back into jogging soon, I'm thinking I'll do walking for now and once more pounds are lost I will try to get back into jogging. Some of the foods I'm eating actually help asthma, so we'll see how it goes once I'm there. When I was younger and jogging I always wanted to do a 5K I know it's not a long distance but it's something I always wanted to do. I'd still like to achieve that goal in the next couple years. Wish me luck!;)
No comments:
Post a Comment